1.23.2008

ok, so I know I've already posted a couple of times about Heath Ledger, but this is a good summary of his life/acting career (which for some reason is titled an "obituary" even though it really isn't. anyways... his death is affecting me more than I thought it would- but other people are saying the same thing. at lunch today one of my roommates and I were talking about how it's the saddest we've ever been about a celebrity death. maybe it's because of how we all first saw him in 10 Things I Hate About You (a classic chick flick for girls our age) and got to watch him in all sorts of roles ever since. Brokeback Mountain made him a timeless actor to many- as is obvious in the NPR reports soon after his death. His talents were indescribable. I refuse to believe that he would have intentionally have taken his own life- he loved his daughter; any possible "overdose" will have been accidental.



---------------------


(some excerpts below)





"We, Heath's family, confirm the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda, who was found in a peaceful sleep in his New York apartment by his housekeeper at 3.30pm (New York Time)," he said.
"We would like to thank our friends and everyone around the world for their kind wishes at this time.
"Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life, but few had the pleasure to truly know him.
"He was a down-to-earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving and unselfish individual who was an extreme inspiration to many.

"Please now respect our family's need to grieve and come to terms with our loss privately.''

...


Last year the actor revealed in an interview that he had been taking Ambien sleeping pills, which are reported to have caused adverse reactions in a minority of patients, after having trouble sleeping while portraying the Joker in the newest Batman flick The Dark Knight. He called the character a "psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy".
"I probably slept an average of two hours a night," Ledger told the New York Times. "I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going." He said he took two Ambien pills, which only worked for an hour before he woke again, his mind still racing.

No comments: