I really don't have time to be posting on here- but there's something I just have to write, maybe just to clear it up for myself- to attempt to put it into words.
I am now 20 years old. That sounds rediculous. A twenty-year-old is expected to be... what, exactly? Mature? Well if that's the case... ok. You probably won't be too pleased with me on that front. A little bit reckless? I thought that was for teenagers. Trying new things? Making mistakes? I'm a cautious one- I'll try new things, but making mistakes is not my cup of tea. At all. I feel guilty for things that I shouldn't and that's just the way I am.
So: Some of my friends and I were at Chili's on Saturday for my birthday dinner. It was fun and I love them all to death. Anyways... there were some children sitting at the booth behind us and some of the girls (aka Coll and BC) were making faces at them and whatnot. We start joking with Coll about how she's a cougar because she loves little boys, etc... but then they start making fun of me for liking the Jonas Brothers.
Now, admittedly, their target audience is probably somewhere in the 8-13-year-old range. Ok then. But the boys are 20, 18, and 15. And, ok, I used to think the 15-year-old was most attractive- then I found out he was 15. So much for that. But the other two are completely legal and it's not like I'm courting any of them. I happen to appreciate their music. Everyone likes that one Miley Cyrus song that's on the radio- she's only 15. How come people don't get made fun of for that? They may, but it's not as big of a deal as the Jonas Brothers. I guess the JoBros need a big hit (even though I have heard them on the actual radio) before it becomes acceptable for me to like them.
Why do I like them, though? And Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana? And watching the Disney channel? I'll tell you why.
I'm a serious person a lot of the time. I can get intense and I apologize for this if it's ever bothered anyone, but that's just the way I roll. I'm always reading about and trying to mobilize against things that are just so heartbreaking.; things that make this world barely tolerable. People are not the best beings- let me tell you. Whether it's the intensely cruel meat industry, genocide, other types of war, complete disregard for the people and environment of the Appalachian mountains by the coal industry, or complete disregard for the environment in general (ahem- Bush administration)- I'm constantly thinking about these things or trying to do something about them or inform people of them. And, believe me, this takes a toll on my overall person.
so why do I appreciate the Jonas Brothers (and Disney and such) as much as I do? Maybe it's because I need something that is inherently good. happy. fun. Watching Hannah Montana does not frustrate me. Listening to the Jonas Brothers and watching their rediculous YouTube videos makes me laugh. Maybe I need to laugh once in a while. NPR understands this (see: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me) and you should too.
in conclusion: feel free to mock me, just understand where I'm coming from! and try some Jonas Brothers music out. You just may like it. It IS very catchy. (all three of the boys have pledged to remain virgins till marriage- just throwing it out there. :-) )
enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEtm2TJTP7Y
No comments:
Post a Comment