9.17.2008

in memory of what we used to call 'in love'

It's been a while. Four months, to be exact. A lot has happened. Hopefully I've grown as a person, but more importantly I've met and loved some amazing people in that time.

And who would've thought Gossip Girl would inspire me so? The song, Fell In Love Without You by Motion City Soundtrack, has spurred this inspiration. It was at the end of the season premiere. I'd never even seen a whole episode before that. I had to come to London to do that.

The new iTunes "Genius" feature is great. Can't wait till I build up my library again! Then it'll really be great. My laptop and iPod and other things got stolen from the office at work this summer. It was a terrible day/week. Of course, time heals all wounds. What I learned from that experience, however, was how incredibly hurtful such actions are. It was just such a violation. I felt so personally violated. My faith in humanity was suddenly shaken- I didn't care about the value of the items- I was most upset about losing my pictures (and music- although that can be reacquired) and work. The fact that someone in the community that I was attempting to serve would take that from me was just so... hurtful. It's something I never really thought about before it happened to me. Now I know.

"Work" was at an "afterschool program for low-income youth"- at the summer program actually. I was an Intern. And it was the most amazing summer of my life. It hurts me to miss the people there so much. I love them. The kids. The co-workers. The volunteers. Everyone.

I'll post more about these things as I can.

Also: I'm in London now. Studying abroad for the semester. It's week three and I've grown accoustomed to city life- and am getting back in shape walking everywhere. And I feel more self-sufficient than I feel at home- and I feel pretty self-sufficient there. It's just that here I don't have to deal with the parents. It's lovely.

No comments: