I feel so inferior in class sometimes. Seriously- how have I gotten this far in college? In my classes everyone else just sounds so intelligent. I don't know how they do it. A lot of my problem, I suppose, stems from the fact that even if I have an idea of what to say someone else always beats me to it. Then the idea I did have becomes theirs and I have nothing more to contribute. Or I do, but I don't know how to actually verbalize what I'm thinking - I am the worst at verbalizing my thoughts in a timely manner. Writing is a much stronger suite of mine... maybe.
I.. I.. I .... make it stop!
today in Environmental Politics we "debated" the Endangered Species Act (passed in 1973, signed into law by President Nixon). it was an interesting class, but the "debate" was considerably lackluster. In an case, one of the last points made was by a guy (donning hot Doctor Who-esque glasses, no less) who is one of the science people in the class*. Doppke asked if there was any way to reconcile land-use issues - the main problem that is run up against with the Act which, once a species is listed as endangered, states that its critical habitat must be protected - with the sustaining and recovery of the listed species. The guy says something incredibly smart sounding and I wanted to give him a hug... or exclaim "YES!" in agreement, but in debates (and class) this is generally frowned upon or judged as slightly insane by one's fellow class-goers. I wish I could give you the exact quote - alas I cannot! tis ok, though... important to note is that he started with something about our previous discussions on America's consumption based lifestyle: "when we discussed smart consumption instead of complete consumption practices; maybe there's a way to encourage sustainable development in lieu of cutting off land-owners/developers as soon as 'critical habitat' is established.... a proactive policy as opposed to a reactive one." um... why can't I sound this smart? this kid is the best. I have grown tired of lazy Arts and Letters students (or maybe they're Business ones?!) who seem to choose the class for it's ease as opposed to its subject matter*. Science students just know how it goes - and the mix of science and politics in the class has really opened my eyes as to why I chose to go the double-major route in the first place. I'm so glad I continued with the Environmental Science major. I love science- even if I'm not the best at it, I just love it. Political Science is fine, but real science is where it's at. I have also discovered that I enjoy the political philosophy classes involved in my PoliSci major the best... Philosophy?! Yeah... I don't know how that happened. My Utopias and Dystopias class is incredible.
I just really love my classes this semester. It was a blessing in disguise when I got bumped from BioStats- because now I'm in that Photography class. We finally looked at everyone's 'Obama' pictures (from inauguration day) and it was really intense.
arg. this post was ridiculous. I don't know what it says. or how it sounds. apologies all around!
*(said class is easily divided into Science, Political, and Other groups... "Other" is clearly my least favorite as they seem to not really care about the class at all). once again, these are the A&L kids who were looking for a class and chose this for it's "ease"... some of us are planning on doing this with our lives, so shut up for a few minutes please. (sometimes I'm just a bitch, ok?)
Lily Allen - 22
(hear Lily's entire new album It's Not Me, It's You on her myspace page)
3 comments:
i know exactly what you mean with the smart thing. i was just thinking today in my world lit class about how the in-class debate was so over my head and i was just kind of spaced out and trying to keep up.
i also was called upon in my social inequality class and i had no idea how to answer what the prof. was asking me so of course i just sat there for what felt like eternity with my mouth hanging open staring at the powerpoint as if it might give me an answer. bah! idk. i figure it must go both ways sometimes. like maybe u say something and someone else is awe-struck by you ;)
also - i hate when i have the answer and someone beats me to it! but it still makes me happy to know i was righttttt :)
If you were to assault me with a hug in class after some brilliant thing I say, I promise not to judge you. In fact, you're more than welcome to assault me with hugs and a thundering "Yes" anytime, preferably not in the DH though.
A
I think the DH is a perfect place to do such things. Where all can see.
Post a Comment